Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave Review [In Depth]
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave Details
Distillery: Shelter Distilling
Type & Region: Agave Spirit, USA
Composition: 100% blue weber agave
Aged: It’s not
From the company website:
Created from 100% Blue Weber Agave harvested from Yolo County, California, and processed and distilled in Mammoth Lakes, California. This agave spirit is at the forefront of a uniquely California experience, bringing farmers and distillers together to create a whole new category of spirits.
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave overview
- 100% Blue Weber agave grown in Yolo County, CA
- No additives
- Piñas are quartered by hand and shredded in a wood chipper (before cooking of any kind)
- Shredded agave is steam cooked in our stainless-steel mash tun for 3 days at 150-160F. We shred the agave first since we don’t have a press.
- We hold back the solids at this point and draw off the sweet liquid into sanitized stainless steel fermentation tanks where yeast is added. Solids are added back into the fermentation tanks.
- After fermentation, we distill the wash twice. The first run is a quick stripping run through our pot still without our column. The second run is slow and careful through the same pot still but with our 5 plate column connected (plates open).
- We cut the heads and tails in this run.
We slow proof the spirit to 94, bottle, then let the agave age in glass for 3 weeks
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave smell
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave taste and aftertaste
I’ve unfortunately lost some Glencairn’s while in transit, and that made me very sad. So, I wised up and bought this Glencairn Travel Case that comes also comes with 2 glasses so I don’t need to worry so much about them breaking. I think it’s great, and I think you’ll love it too.Seriously, if you already have glasses, protect them.
Shelter Distilling Yolo California Agave Reserve Rating
I have far too much fun writing about whiskey and singlehandedly running The Whiskey Shelf to bring you independent, honest, and useful reviews, comparisons, and more. I’m proudly Asian American and can speak Cantonese, Mandarin, and some Japanese.There are no sponsors, no media companies, and no nonsense. Support The Whiskey Shelf by Buying Me A Shot.
Shattered glass really sucks, so if you’re on the move, this Glencairn-like stainless steel snifter glass should survive your travels. Full transparency, this is an Amazon affiliate link, so I may earn a commission if you buy this or something else from Amazon.